Snowdon - The Main Paths
     
The paths are as follows - clockwise from Llanberis:
        
The Llanberis Path

This is the longest route, but is considered the easiest because the gradient for the most part is quite shallow.  This is the one which passes the door to the café, and more or less follows the line of the Snowdon Mountain Railway.  This is the path used each year by the Snowdon Race.  But beware – the section near the top, beside the railway near the top is nicknamed the Killer Convex for obvious reasons.  Read More
    
The Pyg Track

The Pyg rack starts at Pen-y-Pass car park and climbs up over Bwlch y Moch (Pig’s Pass) on the eastern side of Crib Goch.  Just above Glaslyn it joins the Miners Track and they climb together to Bwlch Glas between Snowdon and Garnedd Ugain. Read More
   
The Miners’ Track

This also starts at the car park at Pen-y-Pass and is the most popular route to the top of Snowdon.  I begins by skirting Llyn Teyrn before crossing a causeway over Llyn Llydaw.  It follows the shoreline of the lake before climbing to Glaslyn. From there it heads on up to Bwlch Glas where it joins the Pyg Track, both meeting the Llanberis and Snowdon Ranger paths.  Look out for the derelict mine buildings along the way. Read More
    
The Watkin Path


This is regarded as the most demanding of the paths up to the summit.  Edward Watkin was a railway owner who wanted to build a tunnel under the English Channel but who had a summer home in Nant Gwynant where the path starts.  It begins at Bethania on the A498 and starts off through some very pleasnt woodland, and then climbs pas the water falls of  Afon Llan, across the incline from a disused slate quarry and up to Plas Cwmllan – an old quarry managers house.  The next bit was used for target practice during the second world war.  Look out for the Gladstone Rock commemorating a speech given by the then Prime Minister on the subject of Justice for Wales.  From there the Watkin Path heads north east to Bwlch Ciliau, before heading west to meet up with the Rhyd Ddu path just below the summit. Parts of the path were used in the Carry on Up the Khyber film in 1968.  There’s a plaque on the path to commemorate the location. Read More

   
The Rhyd Ddu Path 

This is sometimes called the Beddgelert path.  It starts from the village of Rhyd Ddu. It’s a gentle climb up to Llechog, a broad ridge which leads to the summit.  It joins up with the Watkin Path at a point marked with a large standing stone. Read More
   
The Snowdon Ranger Path

The Snowdon Ranger Path starts from the A4085, at a youth hostel next to llyn Cwellyn, near the Snowdon Ranger Railway Station.   It starts off through some pretty boggy ground before heading up past Llyn Fynnon-y-Gwas.  It rises up to the ridge above Cloggy and then meets up with the Llanberis Path, Crib Goch, and the Pyg Track/Miners’ Track just beow the summit. Read More
  
Snowdon by Train

The Snowdon Mountan Railway – built in 1894 -  is not just a means to get to the top of Snowdon – it’s s tourist attraction in its own right.  The only public Rack and Pinion railway in the UK it runs for almost 5 miles (just over 7.5 km) from the station in Llanberis to the Visitor centre just yards from the summit.  You might be taken to the the top by a steam engine or a diesel locomotive. The train gets very busy, and you are advised to book in advance online. Sometimes tickets are cheaper if you are willing to travel early. It's common for walkers to travel one way by train and walk the remainder. Read More
   
At the Top

The first building at the top of Snowdon was built back in 1838.  It was built to sell refreshments.  Stronger stuff could be sold from 1845.  There was also some very basic accommodation.  A new station and cafe was built in the mid thirties and was designed by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, the creator of the Italianate village at Portmeirion. This building was replaced in 2006 with the slate clad Hafod Eryri building we see today. Read More
   
Please note that the facilities at the top of Snowdon are NOT open all year round, and the small café at Halfway House is open during the season and sometimes at weekends out of season. Penceunant Isaf Tea House is open 365 days of the year.
  

GPS: -53.111334,  -4.124337 (+53° 6' 40.80", -4° 7' 27.61")
Cod post ar gyfer llywio lloeren/Post Code for SatNav – LL55 4UW


Penceunant Isaf, Snowdon Path, Llanberis, LL55 4UW - 01286 872 606 - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Pen Ceunant Isaf, Llwybr yr Wyddfa, Llanberis, Gwynedd, LL55 4UW. Ffôn: 01286 872606